Comments on Poems

Discussion Area For Poems and Writing

Comments on Poems

Postby Capricorn » Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:36 am

Looking at the web site recently I realised that threre are some people who never get any comments on their poems,and some of these poems are exellent!

I am as guilty as anybody for this happening. I am often rushed, and tend to comment on friends poems first, then if I have time I look out a few that have impressed me and also try to encourage newcomers. However I feel that many people are posting very good work which is being ignored. One person posted 5 very readable poems mid-week and even now has not had one encouraging reply! It does give a `buzz' to get that comment!

I feel quite guilty about this and feel that I should make a little effort that these poems should not be ignored, just because their authors do not join us on the forum. I hope those of you who agree will do the same. If everyone encourages one different person each week it woul at least show them that their work really is worthwhile.
Laughter is better than any medicine the doctor can prescribe.
Capricorn

Postby lasohnda harris » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:17 pm

I feel the same way to like this jason quells guy no one ever comments on his work so i try to go throgh tere and look and write to every possible but there is somany people on herer that i can't write to everyone i can only try.good looking out cap
lasohnda harris

Postby Seizure » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:59 pm

You know what I think? You have to build a name for yourself before people are on the lookout for your poems... I didn't get my first comment until several MONTHS after I started submitting... and at the time I was sending like 9 or so every week. I got ONE comment out of all of that about 4-6 months later.

If the work really is attention grabbing enough, then the poet needs to not stop writing. Keep it going... if they are good, the comments will come. One week DEFINATELY is not time enough to know if you'll get comments or not.

Want a suggestion on how to get more to read your work? If you get comments from someone, do you not try to see if they've submitted poetry and see how they write? Most people do. Infact, I do every time... it's just some are written in such a way I don't know how to comment on them, and others I just don't like. I'm not going to lie... I don't think all poems on the site are deserving of praise... infact some get praise that don't deserve it (in my eyes). It's all a matter of opinion from viewer to viewer. If they read something they want to comment on, they will.

I just got an email from someone that has been reading my work from the beginning. She only commented on one of my latest poems... think of how long I've been posting here... a lot of people are shy with their interests but they will make it known eventually if you don't quit due to lack of comments. Just because people don't comment doesn't mean people aren't reading the poop.
Life is just a game, not everyone can win
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby Luc » Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:12 pm

hmm.. this is one reason i admire ppl like you seizure.. you(they) have the balls to say what i dont.. yet what you said isnt so much as offinzive.. just how.. how should i say it. um.. frank.. right to the point.. and i like ppl who do that.. even though i cant.. oh well.. heh..

i agree lots with seizure. there are some poems out there that i dont really like.. i read a few i like them.. but most of the times i dont know what to put as a comment. i like the poem. it was good. thats what i find my self just writing. when i do write a short comment i feel like i should put more.. if i really like the poem and i feel in a sence.. "guilty" there is probably a better word but i dont know it at the moment.

so instead of just writing very short comments i write nothing that way i dont leave myself with that feeling.

and like seizure said.. "...its just some are written in such a way i dont know how to comment on them..." yup yup.. i agree with that..
"The error of youth is to believe that intelligence is a substitute for experience, while the error of age is to believe experience is a substitute for intelligence." - Lyman Bryson
Luc

Postby Stacey » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:46 pm

I have to say i agree with Seizure and Luc

I personally, would much rather receive a comment knowing the person actually meant what was said, then receive a comment knowing i'm only receiving it just because that person comments on every single poem that is submitted.

Sometimes I can read a poem and like it, but i just don't know what to put down in the comment section. Heh... i think it's funny, when i get writers block while submitting a comment. ( i'm such a dork)

I do have to admit that i don't read every poem that is submitted. I find that a lot of times, a title will catch my eye and lure me in.

Once in a while, i'm feeling to blah to comment, and will go back and comment later. Hell, sometimes i even dive into all of the old poems and read a few here and there. I love the fact that there are so many people who submit to this site.

Becky is amazing, she puts so much time into this site. Thank you Becky :mrgreen:
Stacey

Postby Capricorn » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:33 pm

Don't misunderstand me here, I certainly don't think we should say we like a poem if we don't........no way!! We would not be true to ourselves, But there are some poems that I do like and through lack of time or not sure how to word a comment I don't bother then feel bad when that poem doesn't get any comments at all. I wish I had more time.

yes stace I know what you mean about writers block on writing comments hehe! I sometimes feel my words are inadequate if I really like a poem a lot. It is impossible to comment on every poem you like and as writers we should not expect every poem we post to be commented on.

I really agree with what most of you guys have said, just wished I had the time to comment on all the ones I would like to...cerainly not the bad ones though! :mrgreen:
Capricorn

Postby Seizure » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:33 pm

Personally, I don't see why it's even an issue. I recently got a private message from Lasohnda thinking I'm trying to be mean to her. I want to clear it up that I'm not attacking her. I'm attacking her attempts to direct everyone to her work because she doesn't get sufficient comments to please her ego. Now you all know, I'm saying it up front, I'm not trying to be an ass here! I just come out that way, it's my personality type I suppose.

I would like to point out, however, for all that don't know... Dreamer herself said basically the same thing I have. She said, "You don't need to advertise your poetry.. A good poem sells itself."

To the people requiring proof, might I direct you to the following:
http://www.dreamersreality.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=103

The owner of the site is saying the same thing I am only in a less "blunt" manner.

I am not selectively starting beef with any single poet on this site. You've all known me for years (if you've visited this site that long), and there's one thing you will notice... I ALWAYS talk out against this type of forum/comment abuse. I did the same thing to at least two other poets, both of which wised up and later became my friends when they realized what I was really saying. Even poets that are my friends, when I see them doing something wrong (in my eyes), I point it out and explain why *cough* pamela and barb remember these :). Just thought I would leave a little disclaimer out there...
Life is just a game, not everyone can win
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby Capricorn » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:30 pm

I feel it's time I was up front too. I started this topic because I felt people have in the past and are presently abusing the forum in the way Seizure has described. I feel I made a hash of what I wanted to say...trying to be polite as usual! I was just trying to point out that some people never get comments at all even though their work is sometimes good, and people should not expect comments on every single one of their poems. Besides, writing poetry is our therapy, a comment is just a bonus.
I have decided to be up front too, as since I opened up this topic a certain person has sent me many private messages for me to comment on their poems. I was beginning to feel harassed until I firmly said "no" I am a very tolerant person but not a `pushover' I will not comment further or I may say something I'll regret.
Capricorn

Postby lasohnda harris » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:01 pm

no
Last edited by lasohnda harris on Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lasohnda harris

Postby lasohnda harris » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:02 pm

i meant i wasen.t harassing you
lasohnda harris

Next

Return to Poems and Writings