Book Idea

Discussion Area For Poems and Writing

Postby Dreamer » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:25 pm

I hope there are a few more interested as well
Dreamer
Site Admin

Postby LinzAy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:34 pm

I'd be willing to bet there are....maybe post a "Special Notice" for the authors who rarely visit all the threads and stuff and ask them to come to this thread and give us thumbs up if their down for it! Heh..up and down in one sentence.....anyway...yeah
~The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Learn Is Just To Love And Be Loved In Return~
LinzAy

Postby Seizure » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:35 pm

i'm interested. I'll look forward to further developments.
Life is just a game, not everyone can win
-Seizure
Seizure

Dreamer's ook Of Poetry

Postby Martin Vann » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:49 am

Dreamer,

I would say this has been a long time coming and is a great idea. The talent on this site is well, out of sight and we all, have visited many other sites. Paper back? That could be a start, however, the more professional the presentation, the more commercial and accepatable for table top display it will be. That also means more expenses. I have never purchased a book of poetry, but since I know so many of the poets here, I would. I think schools woul also be interested because so, many of your poets are YOUNG and english teachers like that from a student point of view. So, I would but into it for say $30.00, high for some, but this book woul be special to all of us.

How would poem be selected, is a good question. I'll help as I can and think this is a very good idea for all.

Regards,
Martin
Martin Vann

Postby Dreamer » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:34 pm

I think, depending on how many interested poets I have, I would have each poet to pick out like 5 of thier favorite poems. Then there are a couple choices. Either put those up to a vote by the others who were contributing to the project as which one they like best and pick the highest ranked of each person or I would pick which poem would make it so the final product would be more of a surprize..

Since most of the writers on the site have so many poems I can't possibly reread everyone of every persons poems and pick for myself. Maybe for future books, should there be one, I could flag them when they come in when I really think they are outstanding for publishing. It is a different way of looking and reading each poem.

So be going back through your poems a start looking for your favorites. I will let you know when I got to the point of needing those titles.

I have the supplies to try my hand at hard cover binding. It's gonna be so hard to rip apart another book as a sacrifice to my learning but I will grit my teeth for our cause ;)

Though hard covers are nicer It will of course cost more than the soft cover because of price for materials and shipping, I refuse to be one of those that rips people off with over charging for shipping. I will still try to keep the price under 30 since that seems to be what everyone is willing to spend. I don't think that should be a problem though.

I am really excited about this.

Technical
where I am at in my project...

Hardest part for me is printing the covers which is really tricky.

The books are 5 1/2 by 8, of course the covers have to the same size plus the size of the binding.

Problem: printers don't print edge to edge,
Problem" finding cardstock 8 1/2 x 14 (the next size higher) seems to be impossible for just walking into a store and buying it. I have heard you can special order it but alas my moving around life style messes me up as I am getting ready to make another move in a week or so. Holding up amy ordering I might do.

I have been improvising with cutting posterboards down to size.

Problem: the preprinted posterboard I am wanting to use my printer ink smears on the shiny side of the posterboard even using the photo paper setting..

Any ideas that you might have are welcome... Keep in mind professional printers cost money and we are trying to keep the cost down. All of them I have talked to don't have the larger cardstock for printing either.
Last edited by Dreamer on Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Postby Stacey » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:26 am

this is definitely interesting me as well....
Stacey

Postby LinzAy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:59 am

Hmm, that'll be hard to pick only 5 of my own personal favorites, but i'll do it! heh, and I like both of the ideas to it being ur choice as well as a surprise or us choosing and the highest ranking be the final. I look both ideas vedy vedy much, so I really don't have much of a suggestion there..lol. As for making the books...I have no suggestions there either. I'm no help here. That really blows. Is the cover going to have the same background as all the poems do? That would be pretty kewl if possible. Anyways, I'm a bit tired so i'll try coming back when I'm a bit more awake....see if I'm any more help there.

Are we going to try to get these books into local bookstores? If so, we may have to try to get the ones that go to the locals a bit cheaper. But there's always time to worry about that later.

Blah, tired.
TTYL
LinzAy

Postby Dreamer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:21 am

Lets not get too for ahead of ourselves. I am still perfecting my new hobby.. First attempt on a hard cover turned out pretty good. So I am steadily moving closer to getting things right.. :)))
Dreamer
Site Admin

Postby Leah06 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:48 am

what would the cover look like?
What you do with your life is only half of the equation, the other half, the more important half, is who you're with when you're doing it.
Leah06

Postby LinzAy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:20 pm

yesyes.....when i'm tired i tend to get random thoughts.....heh........glad the first attempt turned out pretty good tho!
LinzAy

PreviousNext

Return to Poems and Writings