How did you get here?

Discussion Area For Poems and Writing

How did you get here?

Postby Capricorn » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:24 pm

How did you find Dreamer's website?Were you just surfing around or looking for poetry sites in particular?

I found Dreamer's reality in Oct 2002, when I was feeling sad and depressed, because my son had just left home to go to university. I was not looking for poetry that day, although I had started writing about a year ago.

I had heard that many women suffer from `Empty Nest Syndrome'. when the kids leave home, and wondered if I could find out anything about this syndrome on the internet. All the sites I found talked of the emotional feelings of women in these circumstances, but one site I clicked onto had a poem, by David Soriano called `Empty nest syndrome' This poem was not how I felt at all, but I continued to look at `this weeks poems' Yes I had found Dreamers Reality!

I was so interested to read what others had written, and even left a few comments. I was enjoying this! :D Then I decided on the spur of the moment to submit a poem. It was late so I chose a short one. I was so surprised and delighted to actually get a comment :D

Next day I posted a couple more poems, and got another comment. I couldn't wait to get on the computer each morning. Then I realised I was hooked! :shock:....and I haven't looked back! I still miss my son, but have lots more to thinkabout now!

Well, Let's hear how you got here to Dreamer's Reality?!! :D
Laughter is better than any medicine the doctor can prescribe.
Capricorn

Postby Luc » Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:37 pm

i was just loking aroudn for poems on .... suicide death ya know the works... 0.o and i found a couple of links to the site. so i clicked on 'em and starting reading 'em .. wow these people are good. so then i went to the direct page ya know the home page and saw dreamers poems and starting reading most of 'em.. so then i skiped around reading eveyone elses i was amazed by it all.. then i just written a recent poem and decided what the hell and summit it it.. and like you i was hooked.. i kept coming back everymorning reading others i hardly left a comment.. the first poet that really cought my eye was dreamer and seizure. i love 'em both. ^.^ then i read everyone elses they were all good so then i started putting in more.. and uh yeah thats pretty much how it started..
"The error of youth is to believe that intelligence is a substitute for experience, while the error of age is to believe experience is a substitute for intelligence." - Lyman Bryson
Luc

Postby Seizure » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:33 pm

[REMOVED]
Last edited by Seizure on Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is just a game, not everyone can win
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby Capricorn » Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:13 am

Thanks for sharing guys. I remember being touched by the poems written by both of you on my first visit.I have just read your poem `Island Refuge' Seizure and realise how hurt you must have felt. You have found your refuge here now I hope? Just read `Fake Smile' too and can identify with this. I think many of us wear our fake smiles and no-one knows what's going on in our hearts. When people ask`How are you today?' are they really interested?...or is it a phrase that trips off the tongue? If you put away your fake smile and told the truth, would they really want to know or start avoiding you? At least here we can all be honest!
Capricorn

Postby Seizure » Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:32 pm

[REMOVED]
Last edited by Seizure on Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby Rosanne » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:18 pm

I found this website because Dreamer's stepdaughter is my roommate at Vincennes University. :D

Loved it from the first, really appreciate the chance to read other people's poems, liked finally getting some feedback from people I'm not related to, who don't have to be nice. :mrgreen:
Rosanne

Postby Seizure » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:38 pm

[REMOVED]
Last edited by Seizure on Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby Dreamer » Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:04 am

Lets see how did I find DreamersReality. ;) When I was new to the computer and the internet was young I seen lots of personal websites and wanted to learn how to do it too. At first I didn't know what I was going to put on it. A friend told me once I got started it would just happen. And it did. I read every book I could on HTML. I wanted to build something easy to use, that was fast loading, and ad free.

I had been writing poems and music since I was a teenager.. (yeah that is a really long time) I had been submitting poetry to a website that was based out of the Harvard Medical Center that was based on nerology. Due to my step daughters illness. It made me feel good to be writing with other people that had problems and lived with disabilites of one kind or another. Their support for each other through their comments was wonderful. Over the years I have tried to capture the early feeling of that site.

I thought it would be nice to share my other writings on a website too. Some of my friends were writers and I asked them to share one or two. Then people started asking if they could put theirs on my site too. One by one it grew.

If you build it they will come.

As it started getting bigger I thought I needed a bit of help on some stuff to automate things a bit. My close friend Vampi from England does some of my behind the screen scripts and things that are beyond my abilities (such as setting up the forum to my specs and stuff.. gotta love him He comes in and reads the forum once and a while but is shy. )

5 years, over 2000 pages and over 1 million visitors later here we are...

That's how I found(ed) DreamersReality and some really good friends :)

-Becky
"I can't be in your shoes, But I can be by your side.. and hold your hand in friendship."
-Scott Goober, (Boston Public)
Dreamer
Site Admin

Postby Capricorn » Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:00 am

Well done Becky, I think you have done a wonderful job. I certainly feel that you have captured the feeling you wanted on the site. I know a lot of people like me feel we're accepted here, and express our innermost feelings and fears, and in doing so we feel better. I've said before it's our therapy!

Thankyou Becky, and thankyou too to Vampi, hope he might call by one day and say "hello".
Capricorn

Postby bingholic98 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:59 pm

yes cap's right becky.I and my ego wanted to see my words and my name in print and when I saw your site would post it I went ahead. The next day I saw my name and writing in print, I was hooked. Look at the site everyday now and the message forum too. You made my life worthwhile becky thank-you. :D
bingholic98

Next

Return to Poems and Writings