Flag Burning

Almost Anything Goes

Flag Burning

Postby Xeracy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:30 pm

What is your stand on the subject of flag burning and why?
kinda like a cloud i was up way up in the sky
and i was feeling some feelings you wouldn't believe.
sometimes i don't believe them myself
and i decided i was never coming down.
Xeracy

Postby Seizure » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:36 am

American Flag:
Depends who does it. If an American does it then they are destroying a very symbol of their freedoms that many have died to protect. They, therefore deserve a punch to the face. You don't attack the country that protects you and provides you with your home.

Various other countries see America as "evil" due to our involving ourselves in their affairs trying to "police" the world. If I were one of the smaller countries, I might also be pissed, but I don't think that would drive me to the point of shouting harmful drivel such as "down with America" and "death to Americans."

I know other countries get their flags burned too, but personally, I see a citizen of any country burning their own flag as a traitor. If you don't like your country, you can leave and file for citizenship elsewhere. There are better ways to voice your opinion to your government.
Life is just a game, not everyone can win
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby Dreamer » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:43 am

But when it comes to getting rid of an old flag though.. I feel that burning it is the only respectful way of destroying it. But you can also take it to the VFW and they will take care of it for you in our town.

Flag burning to me is totally disrespectful if done for some sort of attention getting tactics. It gets attention but not to whatever the cause is. It defracts what ever the meaning is behind what they are trying to prove. It solves nothing but getting people upset at the very people doing the burning.

Other countries burning our flag. I see it as disrespect but more of ignorance.
Last edited by Dreamer on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Postby Seizure » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:29 am

I wonder if Xeracy has a response to his own question...
Life is just a game, not everyone can win
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby Stacey » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:57 am

I think flag burning is like spitting in someone's face.
Stacey

Postby rubydragon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:33 pm

If I remember my history correctly, Flag burning was originally used as a declaration of war.

I think it is disrespectful and cowardish.
The only true source of inspiration, is to be an inspiration.

There is No More Inspiration!!
rubydragon

Postby Xeracy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:04 am

Sure I have a response to my own question, but it's not a pretty one. I can go either way.

Of course it's a symbol. That's a fact. But what does it mean? Is it a symbol of freedom? Does it represent the blankets that carried small pox that killed off Native Americans? ya know... just to still up some more thoughts.

Sure it's disrespectful. It's a HUGE statement, but so is wearing the flag or using it in advertisments. (according to the laws in my state.) How bout peoples renditions of The National Anthem? That's disrespectful too, but the people love it. Remeber Hendrix? He wasn't just F***ed up. He was making a bold statement.

Sure it means a lot... that's why I would personaly never do it cause it would hurt a lot of people, and whatever point I was trying to make would never be heard over the hysteria.

By the way I love the responses so far...
Xeracy

Postby Leah06 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:54 pm

Ok so this flag burning issue pisses me off. I think it is compleatly disrespectful. why the hell would you burn the flag of the country you are trying to be a citizen of? ok so your pissed, so what, do you think burning our flag will help you at all? NO! And to top that off an american decided to be an idiot by burning a mexican flag in retaliation for the burning of the american flag. what i would say to that american would be to grow up! dont sink to the leval of those who will stoop as low as to inflame another country's flag and continue to attempt to gain citizenship, its contradicting yourself! ugh... sorry.... it makes me mad....
What you do with your life is only half of the equation, the other half, the more important half, is who you're with when you're doing it.
Leah06

Postby Xeracy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:52 pm

... So there was a recent flag burning?
Xeracy

Postby Leah06 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:39 pm

2 weeks ago. maby 3 weeks.
What you do with your life is only half of the equation, the other half, the more important half, is who you're with when you're doing it.
Leah06

Next

Return to Open Forum